Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Waterfall Week #4

Saturday couldn't have been more different weather-wise; we had a gorgeous sunny day with no haze--we call this a "bluebird day."  Lovely weather to wrap up our camping trip.

Warren set off at 8 a.m. to go on a GMS climb up Ptarmigan Spire.  I had an earlier post about Ptarmigan Lake; they hiked up the same way and on up to the high ridge above it to a rocky perch. Here are his photos:
Ptarmigan Spire--they had to navigate this rocky ridge via goat trails.
Looking down at Ptarmigan lake--Warren is showing his artsy side!
Warren's hiking companions on top of the Spire.
Dramatic view of the Ptarmigan Wall, over to Iceberg Peak and Mt. Wilbur;
Iceberg Lake is nestled in the curve of the Wall--you have seen these places
from other directions in our previous hikes.
Lynn and I went over to another area of the Park, to Grinnell Lake, actually above the lake toward the glacier.  But there were still snow hazards on the upper part of the trail, so we got up to another waterfall and then had to go back to camp.  Enjoyed the sunshine, warmth, and spectacular scenery!
Mt. Gould above Lake Josephine
Fireweed on the way up..
Lynn on the trail with Salamander Glacier behind.
Grinnell Lake basin and waterfall coming from the glacier.
We had a wonderful cooling shower from this part of the waterfall! 
Lynn took photos of me doing the same thing!
Maybe I can get them from her before too long and add another post 
The first snow hazard on the trail where we decided not to try to go further.
I know my mom is thinking, "Good girl, Anna!"
Warren and I needed to leave and head back to Kalispell that evening.  On the way out of the Park, this little black bear came right out to the road, checked traffic, and then turned around and went back up the hill.  Guess he changed his mind.

What a wonderful summer we are having!  Could it get any better?

We are off to Oregon on Thursday and the internet access will be limited.  I will try to blog at least once or twice at a cafe.  All of my Norwegian family should know that I am really looking forward to sharing photos of our trip in June with my family here, especially my sister Ingrid.  I would love to bring her to Eigeroy some day!!  Hilsen!

No comments:

Post a Comment